Here are some tips for virtual group debriefs. It takes a bit of adjusting to move from in-person to virtual, but with careful planning and practice, it can be a valuable experience.
- Rather than sharing the background of the IDC during the group debrief meeting, you may wish to share information about it ahead of time for participants to review, then do a brief summary and answer any questions during the group debrief.
- You may wish to share a copy of the Group Profile Report with the participants so they can choose to print it or otherwise have it available for viewing while you review it.
- Ensure the technical details are taken care of: Participants have access to online platform you are using (ex. Zoom), Practice your screen sharing and utilization of the online platform ahead of time so you can feel comfortable and take advantage of the features
- Make sure your technology is working well, etc. I recommend you share video and your screen for a deeper connection.
- Communicate the expectations of the meeting ahead of time. Do all participants have access to video for the session? Will the expectation be that they have their video on? Will they be able to unmute themselves for questions/comments? Different organizations have different expectations around this so you'll want to make sure to communicate what you think will be best for your situation in facilitating the group debrief.
- Check in often. When you are not connecting in person, it is easy to get lost. You could do this by asking participants to type in the chat how they are feeling, give a thumbs up or down with the icons, etc.
- The visual cues on the slides will be important to keep participants engaged. Being able to click through slides provides some movement. Staying on one slide for a long time may make it difficult for participants to stay engaged.
Figure out what best works for you by learning each time you facilitate a group debrief. Ask the participants to trust you and the process, and to be present.
If you haven't already, review the Delivering Effective IDI Group Debriefs handout.